Click for home page (Woodbridge Suffolk Information logo)

Walberswick

Tell a friend - Eating Out - Accommodation (link)

Copyright photograph

Walberswick village sign, erected in 1953, to commemorate
the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II

Walberswick lies on the south bank of the river Blyth, across from Southwold.  In recent years, many people gather here for the annual crabbing festival, where (mainly) children fish for crabs.  The children's efforts are often the subject of paintings.

An unusual view of Walberswick, March 2008. Copyright © 2008 George Waller
84. An unusual view of Walberswick, March 2008.
Canon T90 SLR, Canon FD lenses, Fuji professional slide film, Nikon slide scanner.
Contributed by and Copyright © 2008 George Waller
Email: georgewaller(at)dsl.pipex.com

 

Photos from 2006

Copyright photograph
85. The Parish Lantern tea house and shop

 

Copyright photograph
86. The village green at Walberswick

 

Copyright photograph
87. Enjoying the scenery and acitivies on the river Blyth at Walberswick

 

Copyright photograph
88. The rowing boat ferry leaving the Southwold (north) bank of the river Blyth

 

Copyright photograph
89. The ferry arrives at the Walberswich (south) bank of the river Blyth

 

Copyright photograph
90. View from the jetty of the rowing boat ferry across the river Blyth

 

Copyright photograph
91. Boats moored on the north bank of the river Blyth above Walberswick

 

Copyright photograph
92. Boats moored on the north bank of the river Blyth above Walberswick

 

Copyright photograph
93. The pedestrian bridge over the river Blyth, inland from Walberswick

Tthe photos below, were taken on a dull, drizzly day on 14 September 1999

Copyright photograph
94. Black Cottage with a collection of interesting items in the windows

 

Copyright photograph
95. The Visitor Centre, which looks as though it was previously a chapel, lies to the side of the village green.

 

Copyright photograph
96. Cottages on the green. On the left is Mafeking Cottage, presumably named after the 217-day siege of Mafeking which ended in May 1900, during the Boer War in South Africa.

 

Copyright photograph
97. The Bell Inn, between the village green and the harbour

 

Copyright photograph
98. Cottages on the way to the harbour, across the road from Marsh End, below.

 

Copyright photograph
99. Not a row of cottages but a single house - named Marsh End - at the harbour end of the village, looking across the grounds of the Old Rectory. Note the stepped end gable.

Almost immediately this page was posted, I was emailed by Sue Dossa, who lives in the house Marsh End, shown in picture above.  Although it keeps the appearance of a single house, it was converted into four apartments in the 1960s.  The house was built by Sir Charles Blois (then Lord of the Manor) in the early 1800s and subsequently given to the church.  Sue fell in love with the area some years ago and feels privileged to be able to live there.  The gardens are maintained by a gardener.  The historical details Sue provided can be found in a booklet about the village; Sue bought her copy from the Parish Lantern, shown in picture 85, above. Thanks for the additional information, Sue. 


Woodbridge and Suffolk Information since 1995. Copyright © 1995-2010 Linn Barringer. Indexed by FreeFind Search Engine.  
For information on FREE or Paid Advertising, Conditions, Contact, Copyright, Decency, Liability, Links, Listings, Privacy Policy, etc. go to Site Help.